Job Title: Executive Sous Chef (Casino Arizona)
Department: Food & Beverage
Reports To: Executive Chef
Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the kitchen operation.
This job is a Safety Sensitive Position that will be subject to Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Manages the Restaurant Chef who supervises employees in the kitchen in the Food & Beverage Department (Back of House). Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides management and support to the entire kitchen staff, ensuring efficiency in the daily operation.
- Follows all applicable safety procedures specified for kitchen and food service areas.
- Supervises the food outlets throughout the week and helps to maintain food quality and costs in these areas.
- Coordinates menus.
- Determines time and sequence of cooking preparation to meet serving hours.
- Delegates responsibilities to the chefs for preparation of the food.
- Directs cooks, bakers, butchers, stewards and other kitchen personnel.
- Inspects the kitchen area, bakery and the butcher shop for cleanliness.
- Requisitions food and kitchen supplies daily.
- Estimates cost of food consumed and assists in compiling cost control records.
- Authorizes kitchen personnel to work overtime when needed.
- Monitors quality of service, products and pricing provided by vendor.
- Approves all scheduling for various outlets.
- Expedites and helps maintain proper service levels by timing the sources being served with the adequate pace of the meal; includes educating wait staff regarding foods being served with explicit explanation of the items and ingredients.
- Sets standards and specs pertaining to all food production and kitchen operations.
- Ensures that all equipment in the kitchen is properly maintained and in working order.
- Coordinates with support departments for acquisition of needed goods and services.
- Works to maintain food costs within set operating budgetary constraints.
- Ensures that supply stock is maintained at par levels.
- Ensures that all products meet the highest departmental appearance and quality standards.
- Maintains accurate recipe books.
- Maintains and instructs assigned personnel on safety and health standards, policies and procedures and follows up to ensure hazards are eliminated.
- Hires and trains Tribal Members consistent with the casino’s Community and Indian Preference guidelines.
- Reviews financial and service goals with Restaurant Chefs and formulate a strategy plan towards operational success.
- Work with the Executive Chef and F&B Director to assist in the Marketing direction of driving new revenue streams.
- Coaching, mentoring, and teaching Restaurant Chefs Leadership attributes to cultivate succession planning for sous chefs and cooks.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; graduate of an accredited culinary program; 5 to 7 years experience in a high volume, production cooking environment in which “fine dining” culinary skills were required; 3 years kitchen supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must possess a Maricopa County Food Handlers Card and ServSafe® Certification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have good PC skills and knowledge of MS Word and MS Excel software. Knowledge of software related to the Food & Beverage industry and previous experience with food cost management systems strongly preferred.
Must have demonstrated written and verbal communication skills; a proven self-starter requiring minimal direction and follow-up. Must have proven leadership and team development and excellent customer service skills. Must have ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities. Must present a well-groomed and professional appearance.
Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Customer Service
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word