The Central Dispatch Specialist is responsible for directing and supporting freight flow on a daily basis. He/she coordinates the timely movement of schedules, contracts and ad-hoc runs with service centers in the most cost efficient manner. This position responds to special customer requests and adjusts driver scheduling as needed to meet customer requirements. The Central Dispatch Specialist must be able to work flexible shift hours.
The Central Dispatch Specialist assess freight volumes and forecasts to execute proper load planning. He/She analyzes operational performance to identify improvement opportunities and maximize efficiencies. This position communicates with field personnel and directs movement of line haul units, answers heavy call volumes, maintains significant communication via email and instant messaging under tense time constraints. The Central Dispatch Specialist utilizes multiple network and operational platforms; and creates daily ad hoc reports that communicate the status of customers’ shipments. He/she tracks numerous modes of transportation across contractor, rail, brokerage, owner-operators, and company equipment.
- Checks staffing reports in order to assign an adequate number of drivers to meet needs.
- Completes volume reports to communicate projected transportation flows for the next shift.
- Collaborates across functions regarding new customer accounts and projected daily freight volume.
- Works with Industrial Engineering to identify trailers less than 85% full in order change customer trailer assignments
- Communicates customer service needs and expectations to drivers to increase productivity, the customer experience, and revenue growth.
- Responds to customers’ ad hoc pick-up requests to maintain published service levels.
- Detail Orientation: Captures/documents specific and accurate information; learns subjects thoroughly and in detail; completes work with thoroughness; supplies appropriate details when requested; maintains organized files.
- Ground Transportation Knowledge: Demonstrates a detailed understanding of processes, procedures and methods for ground transportation operations, including outside carriers and outsourced networks; demonstrates a broad knowledge of tools, equipment and technology used in ground transportation operations; identifies root causes of recurring issues within ground transportation.
- Incident Investigation: Describes types of incidents; demonstrates basic knowledge of requirements for initiating an investigation of incidents; describes the procedures followed for investigating incidents.
- Legal, Regulatory, and Compliance Knowledge: Applies knowledge of agencies' functions and regulations to compliance and enforcement activities; identifies routine situations where the organization may be out of compliance as well as the specific impacts of non-compliance.
- Report Generation: Possesses ability to generate simple reports using basic functions in software, and/or writing basic queries; identifies information required to complete reports and identifies existing reports generated by others.
- Solicits and Gathers Information: Demonstrates a working knowledge of techniques for soliciting and gathering information; identifies appropriate sources of information.
- Bachelor’s degree (or internationally comparable degree) – Preferred
- Experience demonstrating proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite Products - Preferred
This position is being offered by TFI International Inc. or its affiliates, which is not affiliated with United Parcel Service, Inc. or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries or related entities (“UPS”).
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law