For the COMPLETE Job Posting and Application, access our website by clicking on the 'Apply on Company Site' link below for the following Job Number 2000012F.
We're Looking for You
Are you eager to experience evolving technology with the Navy mission? Are you a motivated individual looking to work in a progressive environment? If the answer is 'YES', we are looking for you to join the Navy Exchange Service Command (NEXCOM) as a DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR in Virginia Beach, VA!
What We Offer You
We offer a comprehensive benefits program and the value of these benefits is approximately 35 to 40% of your annual salary.
- Paid Leave (Annual and Sick)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plan
- Pension Plan
- 401(k) Plan
View our benefits at https://www.mynavyexchange.com/nex/work-for-us/benefits
DAY IN THE LIFE
Under direct supervision and guidance performs all Level 1 duties:
- Creating databases, installing and administering Oracle database engine and Oracle Application Server, Apache, Tomcat, WebLogic and WebSphere web server software and upgrades on IBM AIX, Linux and Windows operating systems. Applying database and web server patches as necessary.
- Creating and maintaining configuration files.
- Configuring JAVA and PHP components to enable form and content delivery.
- Installing SSL and certificate authentication on web servers and databases using Advanced Security. Implementing access security, including encryption.
- Deploying ear and war files for application updates and upgrades.
- Configuring databases and web servers to support application software while keeping databases and web servers compliant with defined standards
- Monitoring the performance of UNIX, Linux and Windows based Oracle and SQL Server database engines.
- Implementing and executing database backup and recovery methodologies
- Performing routine maintenance to ensure databases and web services are accessible and data is accurate.
- Creating and maintaining database administration scripts using UNIX shell and Standard Query Language (SQL).
- Writing and maintaining system documentation according to established standards to facilitate ongoing support and maintenance.
- Flexibility to work on multiple projects concurrently and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ensure/implement the rigorous application of Information Security/Information Assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of Systems, Applications and/or Services (Hardware & Software). Applying Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) and Payment Card Industry (PCI) requirements to Oracle and SQL Server databases and web servers.
And the following Level 2 duties:
- Creating database partitions.
- Administration of other databases, such as SQL Server and Netezza as required.
- Implementing and testing high availability and disaster recovery strategies.
- Providing technical support for crashes or failures by recovering database or web services and/or restoring data as necessary. Acquire knowledge of Oracle Data Guard and RMAN recovery technologies.
- Providing after hours support for databases and web servers as required for upgrades, roll outs and resolution of production issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This is a job/grade progression position. Incumbent may progress non-competitively to Job Code Number 8535, Computer Specialist (Database/Web
Services Admin Level 3) upon completion of training, obtaining the required security certification and technical certifications or assessments and
minimum six months incumbency in this position.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience in administrative, technical or investigative work which demonstrated the ability and aptitudes required to perform technical, managerial or
analytical work involving management information systems. Demonstrates solid analytical and
problem solving skills. Exhibits effective written and oral communication skills. Possesses
strong interpersonal and critical thinking skills, and has the ability to work independently or
within the team.
OR SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE: One year of related academic study above the high school level may be substituted for 9 months of experience up to a maximum of a 4 year bachelor's degree in software engineering or business information systems discipline for 3 years of general experience.
AND SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
Minimum of two years progressive experience in the following:
- Experience in a Technical Support Group with duties that included working with Database and/or Web server Software, including writing and using SQL or batch scripts.
- Monitoring, optimizing and administration of Databases and Web Servers or applications that utilize databases and web servers. Knowledge of upgrade methodologies.
- Backup and Recovery; high availability and failover technologies.
*Required Certifications noted on our website.
APPLY NOW! Discover Our Mission and Let Your Journey Begin!
US-VA-Virginia Beach, VA
$53,000.00 - $88,850.00 /Year