RETAIL BUYER / CREATIVE SPECIALIST
The United Center, a premiere sports and entertainment facility and home of the Chicago Bulls and the Chicago Blackhawks, seeks a well-organized, creative, and motivated individual for the position of Retail Buyer.
Successfully support United Center Joint Venture (UCJV) Retail Operations Team through merchandise sourcing, line creation, planning, procurement, analysis, and allocation representing the Chicago Bulls at the United Center Arena, the Madhouse Team Store, and offsite team retail activations.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
- Implement “Best Practice” procurement lifecycle strategy from concept to store
- Partner with Retail Operations Director to identify & execute open-to-buy assortment
- Trend forecasting & brand discovery
- Maintain on-hand inventory by department, class, subclass & location, maximizing growth & minimizing risk
- Exceed sales & margin targets while supporting operational objectives
- Enhance product mix to drive gross profit, expand exclusives & maintain core assortments
- Strategize & execute assortment allocation by department, class, subclass, and style.
- Prepare & analyze weekly, monthly & annual performance reports for owned categories
- Source, build and maintain retail vendor partnerships
- Provide monthly feedback for markdowns & seasonal promotions
- Build partnerships across all entities & departments within the United Center ecosystem
- Support Retail Operations Manager in fostering vendor relationships & forecasting buy cycle workload
- Maintain competitive knowledge of the National Basketball Association & their respective retail markets
- Actively participate & present key opportunities & liabilities in team retail engagements.
- Other duties may be assigned
Needed Competencies, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High-level planning & organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Outstanding verbal & written communication skills
- All communication is clear, organized, & appropriate for the audience
- Strong analytical and critical thinking ability
- Solves problems by identifying, collecting, and analyzing relevant information and creating multiple possible solutions
- Strong familiarity with high-volume retail, industry patterns, and marketing trends
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to make decisions under pressure
- Plans and prioritizes with a high attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to self-start and work both independently and within group settings
- Familiarity of min/max structure and process
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Creativity and the ability to analyze and activate effective product sell through and exit campaigns.
- Demonstrated accountability for results with a solid ability to initiate and maintain actions to attain goals and progress
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications, specifically MS Excel
- Exemplifies a collaborative approach in working with leadership, team members, vendors, guests & the Chicago Bulls.
- Is respectful of other people’s contributions and is tactful and sensitive, persuasive yet inclusive.
- Other duties may be assigned
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Retail Management, Procurement, Planning, Marketing, Business Administration, or related field required. Minimum 2 years of retail apparel buying, retail apparel planning, or assistant/associate apparel buying experience required. Previous apparel retail sales, retail store management, and/or merchandising experience required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.